With the start of hurricane season just around the corner, the state of Louisiana wants to help its citizens be prepared.
On May 29th and 30th, residents of Louisiana can get a tax break when buying emergency supplies, including:
- self-powered light sources like flashlights and candles
- portable self-powered radios
- two-way radios and weather-band radios
- tarpaulins or other similar flexible waterproof sheeting
- ground anchor systems / tie-down kits
- fuel tanks (gas or diesel)
- cell phone batteries and chargers
- portable generators
- carbon monoxide detectors
The tax holiday makes the 4% state sales tax exempt on the first $1,500 of the cost of such items, though local sales taxes still apply.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1.